Click to Call
Gateway Property and Casualty

642 Central Ave
Dover, NH 03820

Get Directions

New Hampshire Insurance Blog

What is Speciality Insurance and Who Needs It?

Ever wondered about that extra layer of protection for life’s unique surprises? Meet specialty insurance. At Gateway Property & Casualty, serving greater Dover, NH, we’re here to demystify specialty insurance and see if it’s the right fit for you.

Unraveling the Mystery: What is Specialty Insurance?

So, what exactly is specialty insurance? It’s a customized safety net designed for specific situations or assets that may not be adequately protected by standard policies. Whether you have a prized art collection, a classic car, or engage in unique activities, specialty insurance steps in to provide tailored protection.

Who Needs It? Exploring the Niche

Now, let’s delve into who might benefit from specialty insurance. If you own valuable items like jewelry, antiques, or rare collectibles, a specialty policy ensures they’re safeguarded. Classic car enthusiasts can enjoy the open road with the assurance that their vintage beauty is protected. Even if you’re into niche hobbies or have a home-based business with specific needs, specialty insurance can be your safeguard.

Your Trusted Partner: Gateway Property & Casualty

At Gateway Property & Casualty, we understand that your life is unique, and your insurance should reflect that. Our team is dedicated to helping you navigate the world of specialty insurance, ensuring you have the coverage that aligns with your distinctive lifestyle.

If you find yourself with unique assets or engaging in activities that demand a specialized touch, it’s time to explore the world of specialty insurance. Gateway Property & Casualty, your trusted insurance partner in greater Dover, NH, is here to guide you through the process, offering personalized solutions that cater to your distinct needs. Secure your uniqueness with us.

What Are the Benefits of Classic Car Insurance When Compared to Regular Auto Insurance?

Owning a classic car is a cherished hobby for many. However, when it comes to insuring these vintage beauties, classic car insurance offers distinct advantages compared to regular auto insurance. Here at Gateway Property & Casualty, providing auto and classic car insurance in Dover, NH, we want to help you learn more about the differences between these two types of insurance. 

Agreed Value Coverage

Classic car insurance shines with its agreed-value coverage. Unlike standard auto insurance, which pays out based on your vehicle’s depreciated actual cash value, classic car insurance allows you to establish an agreed-upon value with your insurer. This agreed value accounts for the uniqueness and any modifications to your classic car. In the unfortunate event of a covered loss, you’ll be reimbursed according to this pre-determined value, preserving your investment.

Lower Premiums

A significant draw of classic car insurance is the lower premiums it offers. Classic cars are typically driven less frequently and are often stored securely, reducing the risk of accidents or theft. Classic car insurance policies often come with mileage restrictions, which further mitigate risks and contribute to lower costs for policyholders.

Specialized Repair and Restoration Coverage

Classic car insurance often includes specialized repair and restoration coverage. This means that in case of damage, your classic car can be entrusted to a repair shop with expertise in working on vintage vehicles. This specialized attention ensures that your beloved car is restored to its original, pristine condition, preserving its historical and investment value.

Schedule A Consultation Today

There are many differences between regular auto insurance and classic car insurance. If you’re looking for a new policy in the greater Dover, NH area, call Gateway Property & Casualty to obtain an estimate today. 

How to Choose Recreational Insurance Policies

Insurance is an essential tool to help protect your recreational vehicle investments. If you have any qualifying recreational vehicle, you want the assistance of insurance professionals to help you choose the right policy for your specific needs. You can trust the professionals at Gateway Property & Casualty to provide the residents of Dover, NH, with quality insurance products. 

Recreational Insurance Protection 

Knowing which type of policy to purchase is integral if you own a recreational vehicle. That’s why you should work with our knowledgeable insurance agents. We can provide insight into the policy options available and match you with coverage that protects against risk and loss. First, we take the time to understand your situation and determine which type of vehicle you want to protect. 

We then match you with possible insurance options while also educating you about the terms and conditions of the policy. Once you decide, we will collect and submit your details to help you acquire coverage immediately. We strive to provide you with before, during, and after the policy purchase. It’s part of our commitment to providing exceptional customer service that helps provide security with quality insurance products. 

Find Out More

If you would like to learn more about recreational insurance or any other great insurance products we offer to the residents of Dover, NH, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. Feel free to call or stop by the Gateway Property & Casualty office to speak with one of our friendly agents. Get the peace of mind that only insurance can provide to those who own recreational vehicles. We look forward to working with you. 

Don’t Overlook Renters Insurance When Moving to Your New Apartment

If you’re a resident in Dover, NH or the surrounding area, you can count on Gateway Property & Casualty for all of your insurance needs. We’ll help you find the appropriate policy to protect your belongings while you’re living in a rental property. Don’t forget to put this important item on your moving to-do list!

Why Renter’s Insurance Is So Important

Many people mistakenly believe that renter’s insurance isn’t necessary because their belongings will be protected by their landlord’s policy. This, unfortunately, is not the case. While the owner’s property will cover the building you’re living in, the belongings in your unit won’t be. This means that you need to have a separate renter’s policy in your name to protect your personal possessions.

Your policy will provide you with the protection you need if a covered event should occur. Depending on the type of policy that you choose, you could have coverage for alternative housing if your unit is deemed uninhabitable due to a covered event. There are many different levels of protection available, making it possible for people with limited budgets to find a policy. Your local insurance agent can help you determine how much coverage you need and what type of protection is appropriate for your needs. Don’t make the mistake of going without renter’s insurance!

Call or stop by our office today!

The team here at Gateway Property & Casualty is proud to serve the insurance needs of the greater Dover, NH community. We’ll review the available renters’ policies that are currently available in our area to allow you to make an informed decision. Give us a call or stop by our office today to learn more about how we can help you with all of your insurance needs.

What Does Umbrella Insurance Cover?

The agents at Gateway Property & Casualty serving the Dover, NH area know and understand how important it is to you to keep your assets protected. One way you can achieve this is by obtaining an umbrella insurance policy.

What is Umbrella Insurance?

Umbrella insurance is a very important addition you can make to your existing insurance policies. It works as a safety net since it can protect you from unexpected and even devastating financial losses. Umbrella insurance basically provides extra coverage when it comes to things like personal liability, property damage, and even legal expenses.

Umbrella insurance will kick in when the limits of your primary insurance policies, such as homeowners, auto, or boat insurance, have already been used to their limits. This type of policy will help ensure that you are not left to deal with large financial burdens that can happen from unforeseen incidents.

What Does Umbrella Insurance Cover?

One of the primary areas covered by umbrella insurance is personal liability. This means that this type of policy will help protect you in the event that someone is injured on your property or if you are held responsible for causing bodily harm or property damage to others. The umbrella policy will cover the costs of medical bills, legal fees, and even potential damages awarded in a lawsuit.

Contact Us Today

The agents at Gateway Property & Casualty are dedicated professionals serving the Dover, NH area and are ready to assist you with all of your insurance needs, including umbrella insurance. Call today for an appointment to get your policy started and gain the peace of mind that comes with it.

How condo insurance differ from home insurance

Breaking into the housing market can be challenging. If you are lucky enough to find a condo that is affordable and meets your needs, you will need to get condo insurance to protect your investment. At Gateway Property & Casualty in the Dover, NH metroplex, we have been providing an exceptional level of customer service since 2017. As independent agents, we offer more choices and work with you to personalize your policies to better meet your needs. 

Condo association master policy

The major difference between condo coverage and home insurance coverage is the fact that the exterior and public areas are insured by the condo association master policy. As a condo owner, you are responsible for the interior of the unit. You don’t have to pay to protect your roof or porch, these are covered by the master policy. Where your coverage begins is important for you to know. It can be "All in" or "Walls in". The policy that you choose needs to cover where the master policy leaves off. 

Property coverage

Whether you are responsible from inside your walls or from the walls in, you need property insurance that will cover your built-ins like the kitchen cabinets, appliances, fixtures in the bathrooms, and lighting. 


Content coverage is the same as home insurance. It covers your furniture, electronics, clothing, and personal items, whether they are in your condo or away from home with you. 


Your liability coverage protects you and your family members in your home or away. The master policy covers the liability for public areas like the parking lot, gym, or pool. 

Loss of use

This coverage is the same as home insurance. If your unit is damaged and you can’t live there, it will pay for a place for you to stay. 

We Are Here To Help

Contact Gateway Property & Casualty when you are ready to discuss your condo insurance needs in Dover, NH. 

Life Insurance for Newlyweds: Protecting Your Future

Starting a new life together as newlyweds in Dover, NH is an exciting time filled with joy, love, and adventure. While it may not be at the top of your to-do list, life insurance can provide valuable financial protection, opportunities, and peace of mind, allowing you to focus on building your lives together. At Gateway Property & Casualty, we understand the unique needs of newlyweds and can help you find the right life insurance policy to meet your needs.

Protecting Your Future

In addition to the death benefits that come with life insurance, there are other ways it can be beneficial for newlyweds. For example, life insurance can provide financial support in the event that one spouse becomes disabled or unable to work due to a serious illness or injury. In this scenario, the life insurance policy could provide ongoing income to help cover living expenses and medical bills.

Planning for Future Expenses

Life insurance can also help newlyweds achieve their long-term financial goals, such as saving for a down payment on a home or paying for their children’s education. A permanent life insurance policy, such as whole life or universal life insurance, can build cash value over time that can be borrowed against or withdrawn for these types of expenses.

Estate Planning

Life insurance can be a useful tool for estate planning. A life insurance policy can be used to provide liquidity for estate taxes or to provide an inheritance for children or other heirs.

Working with Gateway Property & Casualty

We understand the importance of securing your financial future as newlyweds in Dover, NH. We offer a variety of life insurance options to meet your needs, from term life insurance to permanent life insurance. Contact us today to learn more about our life insurance options and to receive a quote.

Do I need to carry auto insurance in New Hampshire?

Driving in New Hampshire is a pleasure. The gorgeous scent, the uncrowded roads, and the friendly residents. It’s all good. New Hampshire is one of a handful of states that does not require that you carry auto insurance. But, and it is a big but, you need to show that you are financially able to pay for any damage you may cause to people or property if you are responsible for an accident.

At Gateway Property & Casualty in Dover, NH we work hard for our customers to find the right auto insurance policy to meet their needs. 

Why Auto Insurance?

While you can opt to provide the information that is necessary to prove your financial ability to pay for any damage that you cause, most people opt to get the basic insurance that is necessary to protect other drivers from you. The minimum liability coverage that you are allowed to carry is 25/50/25. This is $25,000 for injuries to the first person injured, with a total of $50,000 for all the injuries in an accident. An additional $25,000 is to cover damage to the property. 

This is the basic amount of insurance that is required to cover the mandate of the government. However, if your car is leased or if it has an auto loan, you will be required to carry insurance that protects the vehicle that you have an interest in. You will need to carry collision and comprehensive coverage. These protect the vehicle from damage that results from a collision with another vehicle and from many other things including flooding, theft, and hail. 

Reach Out To Us

If you want to learn more about auto insurance in New Hampshire, give us a call at Gateway Property & Casualty in Dover, NH to discuss the options that we have to offer through our multitude of carriers. 

I’m Selling My Home. Do I Need To Cancel My Home Insurance?

A crucial aspect of protecting your house and your belongings is having home insurance. What happens, though, if you sell your house? Is it necessary to cancel your policy? At Gateway Property & Casualty, we’re proudly serving residents of Dover, NH and Augusta, ME with all potential home insurance needs.

Will Your Home Insurance Policy Transfer To Your New Home?

You may be wondering if your home insurance policy will follow you if you sell your current home and purchase a new one. The answer to this question will differ depending on your situation and the type of policy you have. It’s extremely unlikely that your standard homeowner’s insurance will be transferable to your new home. 

When Should You Cancel Your Home Insurance Policy?

You must cancel your home insurance policy if you sell your home and no longer live there. You should cancel your policy as soon as your home is sold. If you have a mortgage on your home, your lender will require you to keep coverage until the loan is completely paid off. You can cancel your policy once the loan is paid off.

Can I Get a Refund After Canceling?

If you cancel your home insurance policy before the end of the policy term, you may be eligible for a refund. The amount of your refund will be determined by the amount of premium you paid and the length of your policy term. If you paid your premium in full, you will most likely receive a pro-rated refund. If you cancel your policy in the middle of the term, you may not receive a refund. Having said that, most reputable companies, such as Gateway Property & Casualty, are always willing to work with clients to reach an agreement.

Make Sure To Get Insurance For Your New Home

When selling your home, you must cancel your home insurance policy. You should cancel your policy as soon as your home is sold. When you purchase a new home, make sure to get the right coverage for your needs. For all your home insurance questions in the Dover, NH and Augusta, ME area, contact Gateway Property & Casualty and let one of our highly trained agents answer your questions personally.

What is Professional Liability Insurance?

Commercial insurance is not mandated by law for residents of Augusta, ME and Dover, NH, however, it will be necessary to obtain workers compensation coverage only. Many business owners decide to purchase professional liability insurance to offer protection for their interests.

What is Professional Liability Insurance?

When you run a practice, there are certain types of mistakes that can happen with regard to oversights or negligence. This category of indemnification can work well for people employed in the medical industry or who are accountants or lawyers. Architects and IT specialists can also benefit from professional liability insurance. 

Your overarching general liability commercial insurance policies usually cover a broader range of contingencies and don’t extend to issues pertaining to malpractice or misrepresentation. Your knowledgeable Gateway Property & Casualty insurance representative can give you more information about the specific scenarios that can be included. 

It’s also important to understand that this insurance is specialized and must be purchased separately. It cannot be provided in other ways, such as through endorsements or add-ons to your homeowners or other business coverage. 

Typically, the covered perils are only those that are listed and not all forms of criminal or civil law violations. Examples of situations that may be accounted for are breach of contract, services that went undelivered, unmet deadlines, or failure to meet protocol. 

Your professional liability insurance will usually consider claims and lawsuits that were made or happened during the period of time your policy was active and in good standing. 

Gateway Property & Casualty Is Here To Help!

We specialize in offering our clients insurance products tailored to their needs. We serve those in the regions of Augusta, ME and Dover, NH. We invite you to call, visit us online, or stop by the office to further discuss your business insurance requirements. 

Partner Carriers

  • Allstate
  • American Modern
  • Bristol West
  • CRC
  • Farmers
  • Foremost
  • Hagerty
  • Hanover Insurance
  • K&K Insurance
  • Liberty Mutual
  • Main Street America
  • Merchants Insurance
  • National General
  • Nationwide
  • Orchid Insurance
  • Progressive
  • RPS
  • Safeco
  • The Hartford
  • Travelers